Late goal sends Moors home empty handed

Tuesday 8th December 2020  |  St James' Park  |  National League North


Final Score

Lowe 90

Match Report

Matt Lowe struck a last minute winner for Brackley Town to condemn Moors to a sickening late defeat.

A game of few chances looked to be heading towards a fourth consecutive goalless draw between the two sides, however, Lowe struck with one minute of added time remaining.

In the absence of Manager Jason Ainsley on the touchline, Tommy Miller made two changes to the side who began the win over Curzon Ashton.

Ryan Hall, who impressed during a short cameo, replace Stephen Thompson, while Jason Kennedy came back in in place of Mark Anderson. 

Spennymoor, sporting a new look 3-5-2 formation with Hall supporting Glen Taylor up top, looked confident in the early stages at a drenched St James Park.

Taylor went close to an early opener following a quick one-two between Scott McLean and Rob Ramshaw, but his arrowed header was tipped behind by Danny Lewis.

The back three of Carl Magnay, James Curtis and Joe Tait marshalled Brackley’s key threats well in a cagey opening period, but The Saints almost took the lead from a cleverly worked corner.

A low driven set-piece found James Armson who’s shot was blocked on the line from the retreating Kennedy.

A fixture which has been consistently low on goals was largely scrappy in tough conditions, with Moors looking a constant threat down the right through Ramshaw and McLean.

Another move down the right from the electric Ramshaw almost led to a Moors opener, but Hall slipped at the vital moment after a cross dropped to the edge of the six yard box.

Moors were forced into a change shortly before the interval when Adam Blakeman was replaced by Tyler Forbes, with McLean switching to left wing back.

The home side forced a flurry of corners early in the second half to no avail, with their star men Lee Ndlovu and Armson kept quiet by an organised defence.

When Ndlovu finally found a yard of space in the area, he chested a cross down before teeing up Shane Byrne, but his shot was blocked.

With the game meandering towards it’s conclusion, Brackley looked to have claimed all three points when Matt Lowe slotted into an empty net following a collision between Dale Eve and Magnay.

However, the referee adjudged Lowe to have committed a foul in the build-up, prompting an angry response from The Saints.

Lowe was not to be denied one minute from normal time when he slammed home a loose ball to give Brackley their first home win of the season.

Line Ups

13. Dale Eve1. Brad Wade
3. Adam Blakeman'60 Hall 2. John Lufudu
5. Nathan Buddle3. George Cantrill
6. James Curtis (C)4. Andrai Jones
2. Tyler Forbes5. Hamza Bencherif (C)
16. Jamie Spencer6. Lebrun Mbeka
28. Jason Kennedy'70 Anderson 7. Adam Haw'45 Hey '77 Johnson
10. Rob Ramshaw8. Prince Ekpolo
9. Glen Taylor 9. Jon Wafula
20. Frank Mulhern'60 McKenna10. Andy Kellett
21. Scott McLean11. Nathan Newall
4. Mark Anderson12. Brad Nicholson
7. Stephen Thompson14. Mark Howarth
18. Carl Magnay15. Dan Cowan
17. Ryan Hall16. Gabriel Johnson
11. Ben McKenna17. Lewis Hey



Man of the Match

James Curtis

Another strong defensive display from Spennymoor Town's captain, only tainted by the late Brackley winner.

Up Next...

York City


saturday 12TH DECEMBER
The Brewery Field
bootham crescent

Share this post